Ever wondered before stepping into a recording studio first time in your life what all you should be prepared off? Yes, I am telling you and sharing this piece of information through our blog so that it might help you save your money, time & make you a professional in front of the producer or the engineer when you go for your recording to a studio next time.
Factors you should consider before going for recording vocals
- Make sure you call up the recording studio & get detailed information about your recording sessions
- PRACTICE, yes practice as much as you can your piece of song which, you are going to record
- Select the best time which, you sound good. Every hour of the day, every mood of yours counts while singing; make it sure that you are in a good and proper mood before your recording session
- Vocal training – is a must before you prepare for any recording session. Let your muscles loosen up, don’t strain too much. If you are learning to sing or recording to learn from your mistakes – what matters is how you sing on what notes you sing, so relax and let it go
- Don’t be scared of the booths, microphones or the producer. Make yourself comfortable with the environment & take your time to settle down before your recordings
- Food or Liquid you should eat or drink – These have been always a norm that has troubled singers worldwide. Should i drink this before i go form my recording? Should i record on an empty stomach? Well, it does matter if you record on a full stomach or an empty stomach, but what remains the fact is – how do you sound with an empty stomach and how would you sound with stomach full? It all depends on you and your body characteristics…
Factors you should not do before recording vocals
- Temper – is a very important factor when it comes to an artist. You should always keep yourself up to the mood of the song which you are about to record.
- Friends or Family – please try not to take your friends or family while you go for recording. No offense though, but it is the truth. Friends & family or too much of crowd can be a hindrance to your recordings. Minimize your people & go for recording by yourself or with the one who knows what you are up to and can support you with.
- Avoid Karaoke Versions – cheap karaoke minus one versions are a lot which, is available in the market. They are just looking to sell their product & not to make you as a singer. Remember one thing that the minus one versions what they make have already lost the quality or the original scales or the notes of the real song. So you will be actually practicing your cover on the wrong scale. You can easily purchase a good quality of minus one original music from the net for as low as 90 cents with original music and proper scales. Go for it, instead of cheap karaoke sing along versions.
- Ableton Live
- FL Studio
Which DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) or Mixing Software to use when it comes to your Recording, Mixing & Editing – Pro tools or FL Studio?As discussed in our earlier post, you must have finally come up to a conclusion which DAW (Pro tools or FL Studio) you want to start your work with. Before you start buying other hardware’s and software’s for your studio, let us spend some time learning about our perfect DAW which, will help us setting up our studio as per our DAW (Pro tools or FL Studio) Pro tools is an industry standard DAW. It is widely used world wide in any biggest to smallest recording studios you visit for your recording, editing or mixing. To get your hands on Pro tools, you better make it sure you have that much of finance worked up with you as it might really get you spending more. But, to no wonder it the worlds best and the most powerful DAW. To start up with, if you don’t have much time or money to go around and spend or check which, DAW you want to work on with then, maybe it’s probably will be a good choice for you to try out FL Studio by image line. FL Studio gives you 30 days FREE trial before you purchase it. The only option which, is disabled is that you cannot save your projects unless you purchase it. But, it will help you out in learning your production skills and trying out the DAW actually before purchasing it if you are a newbie in production. You can get your FREE download for FL Studio by clicking HERE. Go ahead and download it and try out your new DAW.
- Curtains – We will start looking at our room first. Do you have a window in your room? if you don’t, it’s fine and if you do, definitely you must have covered it with curtains. If your curtains are thin, i would suggest you to have it changed. Go to a local market and buy any cloth which, you will find thick enough that it will not allow light to pass through your window. Remember the more thicker / heavier cloth (much better), as heavy materials absorbs sound in a remarkable manner.
- Carpet – If you don’t have a carpet in your room, please do get one. Cover your room fully from one end to other with THICK carpeting. Now, we got more sound absorbing materials after carpeting the entire room. Stand in the center of the room and CLAP and listen if you can hear any echo or reverberation what you used to hear before changing your curtains & putting your carpet or rug.
- Soundproofing windows & doors – No matter how much hard we try to get our room soundproofed by heavy carpeting and curtains, the main culprits who lets the outside sounds in disturbing our recording sessions are the windows and the doors. As they have corners and access to get in sound and throw out sound from their corners, we need to seal them with soft foams which we get in the market for very cheap price. We can even use the window AC filter foams or if you can afford to spend a bit more then, you can find a bit thicker foams which, are already available in the local hardware store to purchase to soundproof the doors & windows. Once, you have sealed the corners, now we have to do something on the flat surface of the door. The door usually made of wood, but it’s smooth surface will hit back the sound and will not give the proper soundproofing. For this, if you have the extra carpet which, we used for our floor or extra cloth for the curtain; we can utilize that and stick it on the door. Or else you can even put a curtain in front of your door as a nice drape. After we have achieved this, once again stand in the center of the room and clap your hands and scream or shout and listen if you can hear any reverberation or echo. It must have drastically reduced now.
- Bass traps – This might be the last item which, will be a bit tougher for most of us to do. Let me give an idea about what bass traps are. “A BASS trap is simply a device designed to absorb low frequency sound and enhance your overall sound experience”. We can achieve this by building the corners of the walls of our room in a flat manner. Usually, when the sound travels, most of the sound gets into the corner and gets trapped over the corners. When those sounds reflect back we don’t hear much of clear bass. If you can build or get a carpenter to get this work done then, you can get a much better soundproofing.